Wednesday 25 August 2010

Day 4/5 Washing/Climbing

So, the hammocks aren't so good in thunderstorms, but more of that later! I have a technology problem - my iPhone car charger has decided to stop working and being a 'tard I didn't bring a mains charger! I'm going to turn it on and blog every couple of days while the batteries last but no photos unfortunately. =o(

Yesterday we had a rest day as the forecast wasn't too good. We had a late start and relaxed breakfast next to the car before heading into Cortina to do a little shopping. We grabbed some beers and sat on some steps and watched the world go by. Italian women are incredible - we've had to come up with a whole new rating system! Athletic tanned loveliness. And we've seen a lot of leiderhawsen (sp)!

Having not washed since we left on Sat everyone was smelling pretty disgusting, I seemed to be sweating Camembert! We took a walk upriver and had a very invigorating bath in the icey cold glacial meltwater! After some general goading everyone got their head underwater - there's some comedy video footage! We grabbed another beer in town where James angered the barmaid by eating bowl after bowl of free barsnacks until she brought him his own set of snacks to stop him emptying the bar!

We returned to the same bivvy spot in the woods and watched lighting in the sky as we went to sleep. About 2330 it rained. And I mean really rained! Turns out the fancy hammocks aren't breathable, and the zip on mine had water pouring into my face. Chis on the other had was sound as a pound in the cheaper zipless hammock, tightened up his bivvy bag and carried on sleeping. I wasn't liking my hammock slowly filling with water so I grabbed the emergency tent out of the car. As I was wrestling with the tent (and the rain had all but stopped) James decided his bivvy bag was leaking and he'd rather sleep in the car. I have him the keys and he ran off into the dark, in his underwear and shoes, headtorch on his head and dragging his sleeping bag.

A good 20mins went by before we heard panicky shouts from the opposite direction of the car. Shortly after James arrives, still in his underwear! He's run off into the woods, got lost and had some sort of Blair Witch Project experience! The look on his face was the funniest thing I've ever seen - we've all been laughing about it ever since! The car was only 30m away, you can see it in daylight and we've been back and forth loads of times! =oD

Today we went and climbed a 10 pitch VI (about Severe, though the two crux cracks felt VS to me). I lead all but the first pitch. We did it in 7hrs - same time as Mon by twice as high. I absolutely loved it - solid rock low down with involving climbing. And loads of choss at the top which I really enjoy. I've become quite the choss-weasel! Slightly overhanging offwidth about 150m off the ground was my highlight. I'm really into the runout nature of the climbing and covering the ground as fast as possible. We did some via ferratta to get down which included a really eerie suspension bridge shrouded in cloud. Also explored some WW2 tunnels on the way down.

I'm typing this from my hammock - forecast looks good for the next two days so hopefully no rain fail/tent retreat tonight! Aiming for a 12 pitch VI+ tomorrow with a 150m open book corner at the top. Whole route is 380m tall or so! Bo)

Life out here is very simple. We sleep wherever we string our hammocks, wash in glacial rivers, eat very cheaply and climb. The mountains are stunning, it's all so big. And there's so much history here. God knows how people can cook themselves on a beach all day. My cough is loads better and I'm feeling strong.

And we saw a bear today. But it might have been a dog. We can't agree but took a picture!

Night all!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment